Riding a motorcycle can be exhilarating, especially in a city like Fishers, which combines the contemporary attractions of nearby Indianapolis with the natural beauty of the Indiana countryside. Whether commuting to work or cruising leisurely along the trails of the Geist Reservoir, motorcycling is an ideal way to experience all that Fishers has to offer.
But while motorcycles can provide an enjoyable, cost-effective means of transportation, they can also be quite dangerous. In 2020 alone, 138 motorcyclists were killed in collisions in Indiana, while another 1,969 riders were injured. Because motorcycles have considerably less shielding than cars or trucks, leaving a rider directly exposed to metal and asphalt when a high-speed collision occurs, the injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating.
Fortunately, if you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident, the Fishers motorcycle accident lawyers at Hensley Legal Group are here for you. For more than a quarter century, we have been fighting to make sure that the everyday people of Indiana enjoy equal access to justice.
To schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable Fishers motorcycle accident attorney, please call us at (317) 472-3333, chat with us online, or complete our contact form today.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
A motorcycle accident can happen for a variety of reasons, though successful motorcycle accident cases need to establish that someone else was at fault, usually another driver on the road. Examples of negligence that could cause a motorcycle accident include:
- Following too closely (tailgating)
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to see a motorcycle
- Improper left-hand turns
- Swerving in front of a motorcycle
- Cutting off a motorcycle at an intersection
- Ignoring a motorcycle while changing lanes
- Opening a vehicle’s door in front of a motorcycle (dooring)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Fatigued driving
- Distracted driving
- Inappropriate cellphone use
Negligent actions like these are especially damaging when they are committed by drivers of larger vehicles. In addition to offering minimal physical protection, motorcycles weigh far less than the average passenger vehicle and consequently have shorter stopping times. With this in mind, drivers of cars and trucks have a duty to watch out for motorcyclists, give them extra room, and reduce speed more gradually in their presence.
When drivers neglect this duty, motorcyclists are the ones who have to pay the price. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcycle riders are approximately four times more likely than occupants of passenger vehicles to be injured in a crash and 24 times more likely to die.
Regardless of the specific cause of your collision, our Fishers motorcycle accident lawyers are ready to discuss your next steps if you are considering pursuing a negligent driver for compensation.
How Can Motorcycle Accidents Be Prevented?
In light of how badly they can be injured, it is important for motorcyclists to do everything they can to avoid accidents. There are a number of steps that can be taken either to prevent crashes from happening entirely or to minimize their severity. If you are riding a motorcycle, always remember to:
- Make sure drivers see you – Wear brightly colored clothing and flash your lights when approaching other vehicles, especially at night or if visibility is limited. If drivers see you, they will be less likely to hit you.
- Travel at safe speeds – Never cycle over the posted speed limit, and be ready to slow down even more when poor road or weather conditions hinder your traction or ability to see.
- Keep a proper distance – Tailgating is the main cause of rear-end collisions, which can be cataclysmic to motorcyclists, so maintain a proper space cushion between yourself and other vehicles.
- Change lanes slowly – Sideswipe collisions often occur when you are in a driver’s blindspot, so switch lanes gradually and consider using hand signals to alert others of your presence and intentions.
- Proceed carefully through intersections – Look both ways and watch out for oncoming vehicles and hazards before entering intersections, where more than a third of motorcycle accidents take place.
- Pay attention – Never take your eyes or mind off the road, since distraction is a contributing factor in more than half of all traffic accidents.
- Do not drink and ride – Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is incredibly dangerous, with intoxication involved in over one-fourth of deadly motorcycle accidents.
- Only cycle when you are well rested – Drowsiness can be as risky as drunkenness when you are operating a vehicle. One study found that a driver who has gone over twenty hours without sleep may be as impaired as a driver with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent, the legal limit for intoxication in Indiana.
- Always wear a helmet – Though the state does not require riders over 18 to wear helmets, they can significantly reduce the likelihood of grievous bodily harm in the event of a motorcycle accident. The NHTSA reports that motorcycle helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing death and 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries.
How Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Can Help
Keeping safety in mind while riding a motorcycle is important, but no matter how many precautions you take, the sad reality is that a motorcycle accident may still happen, and the injuries that result can be extreme, with or without a helmet. Seemingly overnight, you can be overwhelmed by medical expenses and other unforeseen costs, along with a loss of income if you are unable to go to work. When the bill collector never stops calling and the insurance company never calls back, it can be difficult to know what to do to keep your family from the brink of ruin.
At times like these, you need attorneys with the empathy to support you through your struggles and the skill to get you the compensation you deserve. In short, you need the Fishers motorcycle accident attorneys at Hensley Legal Group.
Ever since we first opened our doors, we have devoted our practice to helping honest Hoosiers just like you who have been injured through no fault of their own. No adversary is too powerful to prevent us from serving the best interests of our clients.
If you decide to retain our personal injury lawyers, we will conduct a thorough investigation to identify and pursue everyone who may be at fault for your motorcycle accident within the time permitted by law. We will also take immediate action to secure the evidence needed for your claim, including:
- Police reports
- Traffic citations and dispositions
- Driving histories
- Witness statements
- Crash photos
- Traffic light, dash cam, and surveillance footage
- Black box data
- Cellphone records
- Accident reconstruction analysis
After putting together a rock-solid case against the liable parties, we will attempt to negotiate a settlement that takes into account the totality of the damages you have incurred. Far too often, insurance adjusters try to take advantage of your relative inexperience to settle your case for far less than it may be worth, even exploiting antipathy toward the motorcycle community for its perceived “recklessness.” We won’t let them. We always strive to get our clients compensated for all of their losses, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Psychological and emotional distress
- Punitive and wrongful death damages (if applicable)
And if we do not receive an offer that reflects the true value of your case, we are more than willing to go to trial for a verdict that does, unlike many of our competitors, who rarely, if ever, see the inside of a courtroom.
We understand that you may be concerned about additional expenditures at this moment, so you will be happy to learn that our firm works on a contingency basis. You will not pay anything until our Fishers motorcycle accident lawyers win your case.
When you got on your bike that fateful day, you had no idea how hard the journey that lay ahead of you would be. Hensley will do whatever it takes to get you back on the road to recovery.
Contact a Fishers Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Hensley Legal Group is committed to defending the rights of the hardworking men and women of Indiana. If you have been injured because of someone else’s negligence, contact our Fishers motorcycle accident lawyers to learn more about the legal remedies available.
For a complimentary case review with a motorcycle accident attorney, call us at (317) 472-3333, chat with us online, or fill out our contact form.