A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can completely alter the course of somieone’s life. It can affect a person both mentally and physically, robbing a person of the ability to take care of oneself and to provide for family members. The families of TBI victims in Indiana face the challenging task of caring for their loved ones, ensuring they receive proper medical treatment, and taking care of family finances.
At Hensley Legal Group, we understand that traumatic brain injuries affect not only the victims but entire families as well. We care about each one of our clients and want the best possible outcome for them and their loved ones. If your brain injury was caused by the reckless or negligent actions of someone else, our personal injury lawyers can help you pursue financial compensation for your losses.
The traumatic brain injury attorneys at our law firm have been serving the residents of Indiana for over 20 years. We are dedicated to helping TBI victims and their families receive the medical aid and financial support they need and deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free case consultation. Call us, fill out the online form, or start a live chat.
Types of Head and Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury is the result of a sudden blow to the head that damages the brain. According to the CDC, over 61,000 people die annually in the United States due to traumatic brain injuries. Thousands of others suffer devastating physical disabilities, memory loss, and other side effects as a result of a severe TBI. Traumatic brain injuries in Indiana can range from moderate to severe, some affecting a person temporarily, others resulting in permanent life-altering harm.
The following are common types of brain injuries:
- Concussion: This is the most common type of traumatic brain injury and is often the result of a fall, car accident, or other sudden blow that causes the head to move rapidly back and forth. The sudden movement shakes your brain and can cause symptoms that are moderate or severe.
- Contusion: A brain contusion is when an area on the brain is bleeding, and this may occur in conjunction with a concussion. If the brain bleed does not stop on its own, surgery may be required. A contusion can cause serious damage depending on the size, duration, and location of the bleed.
- Penetration: These types of brain injuries occur when an object, such as a bullet or a knife, punctures the skull and brain. A penetrating head or brain injury can be fatal if not properly treated. Survivors may require extensive medical attention and many months of rehabilitation therapy.
- Diffuse axonal injury: A TBI of this kind is caused by strong shaking or rotational forces of the head that cause tears in the connections of the brain. A diffuse axonal injury typically causes a coma and severe injury to different parts of the brain. The extent of the damage depends on the location and length of the tear.
- Shaken baby syndrome: Sadly, this type of injury is usually the result of child abuse. The injuries suffered are similar to a diffuse axonal injury, and almost always cause devastating harm or death.
Establishing Liability in Indiana Brain Injury Cases
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in Indiana due to another person’s negligence, then you shouldn’t have to bear the entire financial burden of expenses for nursing care, rehabilitation, and other medical expenses. An Indiana traumatic brain injury attorney may be able to help you recover compensation for damages.
After taking on your traumatic brain injury case, Hensley Legal Group’s team will immediately launch an investigation into the cause of the accident and who was responsible for it. Next, we will reach out to all liable parties which typically put us in contact with their lawyers or insurers. Then settlement negotiations will begin, and if a just and fair amount can’t be reached, our attorneys are prepared to take your case all the way to trial if necessary.
Consider the following common causes of Indiana brain injuries and parties who may be liable.
Motor vehicle accidents
Car accidents caused by negligent drivers are a common cause of brain injuries. Your Indiana brain injury attorney will investigate the cause of the accident and identify all liable parties.
Potentially liable parties for brain injuries may include:
- Truck drivers and their employers
- Taxi or rideshare drivers
- Bus drivers and their employers
- Government entities
- Parking lot or business owners
Land and business owners in Indiana have a legal obligation to keep their properties safe and free from hazards. If you slipped and fell and suffered a traumatic brain injury due to dangerous property conditions, then the property owner could be held responsible for your accident.
Parties your Indiana personal injury attorney may hold responsible for your brain injury could include:
- Business owners
- Government entities
The state of Indiana has to follow both state and federal laws that regulate the manufacturing and distribution of products. Unfortunately, these guidelines are not always followed and thousands of people are injured every year due to dangerous products.
If your brain injury was caused by a dangerous product, your personal attorney may file a lawsuit against the:
Working on a construction site is one of the most dangerous jobs that a person can have in Indiana. Brain injuries may be caused by falls, swinging or falling objects, defective equipment, or other accidents.
In addition to Indiana workers’ compensation, you may be entitled to receive a payout from the following parties:
- Property owners
- Equipment manufactures
Compensation For Indiana Traumatic Brain Injuries
The compassionate brain injury attorneys at Hensley Legal Group understand that there’s no dollar amount that can compensate for all you have suffered due to your head injury. However, a monetary settlement or award can help ensure that you receive the medical care you need as you try to move forward with your life.
Depending on the extent of your injuries and the cause of your accident, your personal injury lawyer may pursue damages for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
- Nursing care
Contact Our Indiana Personal Injury Law Firm Today
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic head or brain injury, you may have sought medical help from the best neurologists in Indiana. Just as you want a professional and skilled doctor taking care of you after sustaining a brain injury, you want a trusted personal injury attorney on your side who is experienced in handling brain injury cases.
Our law firm is dedicated to helping the victims of personal injury, and traumatic brain injuries are one specific area we are experienced with. Our goal is to support our clients, offer them legal advice, and help them recover the compensation they deserve. The attorneys at our law firm work on a contingent fee basis which means that you will pay no out-of-pocket expenses.
At Hensley Legal Group, we know just how devastating and complex a brain injury case can be. Our team meticulously combs through every detail of each client’s accident, ensuring that we can build a strategic and strong case on his or her behalf. Contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation.