Motorcycling can be an ideal way to get around Muncie. Whether enjoying the great outdoors in a local nature preserve or heading downtown for work or leisure, motorcycles offer an exciting, economical means of transportation – but a potentially hazardous one as well.
Motorcycles provide less protection than cars and trucks, which can increase the probability of grievous bodily harm during a collision. One study found that 1,969 motorcyclists were injured and 138 were killed in Indiana crashes in 2020 alone.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, turn to the Muncie motorcycle accident attorneys at Hensley Legal Group, who are committed to defending the rights of the everyday people of Indiana.
Call us at (317) 472-3333, chat with us online, or complete our contact form for a complimentary case review with a Muncie motorcycle accident lawyer today.
Why Motorcycle Accidents Are So Dangerous
Motorcycles are smaller and lighter than most vehicles, which can be appealing to riders, who enjoy the sense of freedom offered and the opportunity to move easily around obstacles in traffic. But the attractive qualities of motorcycles are also what make motorcycle accidents so dangerous.
Motorcycles do not offer the shielding that cars and trucks do, exposing riders to direct contact with asphalt and metal and a heightened risk of catastrophic injuries in the event of a crash. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 80 percent of all motorcycle accidents result in harm to riders, four times the rate suffered by occupants of passenger vehicles. Additionally, the NHTSA reports that cyclists are 24 times more likely to be killed during a collision.
Aside from providing minimal protection, motorcycles are less stable because they only have two wheels instead of four, often causing them to tip over or even throw a rider in an accident. Moreover, motorcycles have much shorter stopping times because of their compact size and low weight, leaving them susceptible to rear-end collisions.
Because of these vulnerabilities, drivers have a duty to watch out for motorcyclists, provide them with extra room on the road, and reduce their speed more gradually when they are around. Unfortunately, this duty is often neglected, and riders are the ones who pay the price.
Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
A motorcycle accident can occur for many reasons, though cyclists considering a claim will need to demonstrate that the collision was somebody else’s fault. Some of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Following too closely (tailgating)
- Neglecting to yield the right of way
- Making an improper left-hand turn
- Failing to see a motorcycle
- Disregarding a motorcycle during a lane change
- Cutting off a motorcycle at an intersection
- Swerving in front of a motorcycle
- Opening a door in the path of a motorcycle (dooring)
- Drunk or high driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Improper use of handheld devices
No matter what caused your crash, our Muncie motorcycle accident lawyers can advise you of the best course of action to take if you are contemplating a case.
Tips for Preventing Motorcycle Accidents
There are a number of tips you should follow that may prevent motorcycle accidents from happening or reduce the severity of any injuries that may result. Before you ride your motorcycle, remember to:
- Make yourself visible – Wear brightly colored clothing and flash your lights when approaching vehicles to make your presence known. If drivers can see you, they will probably not hit you.
- Keep a proper space cushion – Tailgating is the chief cause of rear-end collisions, which can be fatal to riders, so keep an appropriate distance between yourself and other vehicles.
- Maintain a safe speed – Speeding increases both the likelihood and the extremity of crashes, so do not exceed the posted speed limit and slow down when encountering poor road or weather conditions.
- Be cautious at intersections – Look both ways and watch out for vehicles before entering intersections, where over one-third of motorcycle accidents take place.
- Change lanes carefully – Being in a driver’s blindspot when you switch lanes could cause a sideswipe collision, so proceed carefully and use hand signals to alert others of your intentions during a lane change.
- Never drink and ride – Over a quarter of deadly motorcycle accidents involve intoxication, so do not drink or otherwise impair yourself before going out for a ride.
- Pay attention – Keep your eyes and mind on the task at hand, since distraction is a factor in more than half of all auto accidents.
- Avoid biking when you are tired – A motorist who has gone more than twenty hours without sleep can be as impaired as one with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent, so be sure that you are well rested when you ride.
- Wear a helmet – Indiana law may not require riders over the age of 18 to wear a helmet, but that does not mean that you should not do it. The NHTSA has found that helmets are approximately 67 percent effective in preventing brain damage and 37 percent effective in preventing death in a motorcycle accident.
How Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Can Help
Safety is key when riding a motorcycle, but the sad fact remains that no matter how many precautions you take, a motorcycle accident may still occur, and when it does, the injuries can be punishing, with or without a helmet. Seemingly overnight, you may be faced with astronomical medical bills, possibly while you are physically unable to work, all of which can make basic survival challenging, much less securing the funds necessary to stave off economic disaster.
You need attorneys who have the compassion to support you through this troubling period and the wisdom to get you past it. You need the Muncie motorcycle accident attorneys at Hensley Legal Group.
Hensley has been helping honest Hoosiers just like you since the firm first opened its doors in 1998. No adversary is too intimidating to prevent us from doing everything in our power to get justice for our clients.
If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a thorough investigation to identify and pursue everyone who may be at fault for your injuries within the time allotted by law. Furthermore, we will take swift action to amass the materials required to support your claim, including:
- Police reports
- Traffic citations and dispositions
- Crash scene photos
- Dash cam, traffic light, and surveillance videos
- Black box data
- Witness accounts
- Driving histories
- Phone records
- Forensic analysis and accident reconstruction
If there is evidence of misconduct by the liable parties, our Muncie motorcycle accident lawyers will find it.
Get Compensation for All Your Losses
After putting together a rock-solid case against every defendant, we will work to reach a settlement that takes into account the entirety of your damages. Insurance companies may try to take advantage of your inexperience to resolve your case for far less than it may be worth, even exploiting negative popular sentiment about the perceived “recklessness” of the motorcycle community. We will not let them. Our firm will always strive to get you compensation for all your losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Psychological and emotional anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Punitive and wrongful death damages (if applicable)
And if we do not receive an offer that reflects the true value of your motorcycle accident, we are not afraid to go to trial for a verdict that does, unlike many of our competitors, who rarely, if ever, see the inside of a courtroom.
You Will Not Pay Until We Win
We realize that spending more money may be the last thing you can afford to do, so you may be pleased to learn that our firm works on a contingency basis. That means you will not pay anything until our Muncie motorcycle accident attorneys win your case.
The last time you climbed on your bike, you had no idea how long and difficult your journey would be, but you can trust Hensley to bring it to a satisfying conclusion.
Meet With a Muncie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Now
Hensley Legal Group has been fighting for the innocent victims of negligence for over 25 years. If you have been wrongfully injured, meet with a Muncie motorcycle accident lawyer now to discuss your next steps.
Schedule a free consultation with a skilled motorcycle accident attorney by calling (317) 472-3333, chatting with us online, or filling out our contact form.
4000+ POSITIVE REVIEWS
Real Results, Real People