Greenwood is an ideal place to ride a motorcycle. Whether enjoying the scenic beauty of more than a dozen recreational parks and nature trails, cruising along the banks of the White River, or zipping off to the many shopping destinations within the city limits or in neighboring Indianapolis, cycling is a great way to take advantage of everything the Greenwood area has to offer.
But as much as motorcycles can offer an enjoyable, economical way of getting around, they also leave riders much more vulnerable than other means of transportation. Without the shielding provided by larger passenger vehicles like cars and trucks, a motorcyclist may be exposed to direct contact with metal and asphalt during a high-speed crash, often with catastrophic results. According to the Indiana University Public Policy Institute, 1,969 motorcyclists were injured and 138 riders were killed across the state in 2020 alone.
To avoid the financial devastation that can follow a serious motorcycle accident, reach out to the Greenwood motorcycle accident attorneys at Hensley Legal Group, where we have been getting justice for the average Hoosier for more than 25 years.
To schedule a free consultation with a Greenwood motorcycle accident lawyer, please call us at (317) 472-3333, chat with us online, or complete our contact form.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are a wide variety of reasons why a motorcycle accident may occur, though a viable claim for damages will need to prove that someone else was at fault, typically another driver on the road. Negligent actions that could cause a motorcycle accident include:
- Driving too fast
- Tailgating/following too closely
- Not yielding the right of way
- Making an improper left-hand turn
- Swerving in front of a motorcycle
- Disregarding a motorcycle while changing lanes
- Cutting a motorcycle off in an intersection
- Opening a door in a motorcycle’s path (dooring)
- Failing to see a motorcycle
- Intoxicated driving
- Fatigued driving
- Distracted driving
- Inappropriate cellphone use
These types of behaviors are especially dangerous when committed by drivers of larger vehicles. Not only do motorcycles have fewer protective features than cars and trucks, they are also far lighter and have much shorter stopping times. With these vulnerabilities in mind, other drivers have a duty to look out for motorcyclists, give them extra room, and reduce their speed more gradually when they are present.
If they neglect to do so, motorcycle riders will be the ones who pay the price. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that motorcyclists are about four times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to be injured and 24 times more likely to be killed in the event of a collision.
Regardless of the cause of your crash, our Greenwood motorcycle accident attorneys can advise you of the possible remedies available to you if you are considering a case against a negligent driver.
How to Prevent Motorcycle Accidents
When you climb on a motorcycle, you are putting yourself at risk of grievous bodily harm. Fortunately, there are a number of steps you can take either to prevent a motorcycle accident or reduce the severity of any injuries you may incur. To better protect yourself while riding, remember to:
- Increase your visibility – If drivers see you, they will be less likely to hit you, so try to wear brightly colored clothing and flash your lights when approaching other vehicles to alert them of your presence.
- Avoid speeding – Never exceed the posted speed limit and be sure to slow down if poor weather or bad road conditions limit your traction or visibility.
- Maintain a proper space cushion – Tailgating is the leading cause of rear-end collisions. Keep a reasonable distance between yourself and other vehicles.
- Exercise caution at intersections – More than a third of motorcycle accidents take place at intersections, so watch out for any obstacles ahead and look both ways before moving forward.
- Switch lanes carefully – You could become the victim of a sideswipe accident if you are in a driver’s blindspot during a lane change. Proceed carefully and make use of hand signals to alert others of your intentions when you switch lanes.
- Avoid distraction – Distracted driving is a contributing factor in over fifty percent of all traffic accidents. It is vital for you to keep your eyes and mind on the road at all times.
- Do not ride under the influence – Intoxication is involved in over one-fourth of deadly motorcycle accidents, so do not drink or take drugs before riding your bike.
- Never cycle while you are tired – Drowsy driving can sometimes be as hazardous as driving under the influence. One study found that a motorist who has not slept for more than twenty hours may experience the same degree of impairment as a motorist who has a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent, the legal limit for drunkenness in Indiana.
- Put on a helmet – Just because Indiana law does not require riders over the age of 18 to put on a helmet does not mean that you should not wear one. According to the NHTSA, helmets are about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injury and 37 percent effective in preventing death in a motorcycle accident.
What Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Can Do
It is important to do everything you can to stay safe while riding a motorcycle. However, the reality is that a motorcycle accident may still happen no matter what precautions you take, and when it does, the injuries can be significant, even with a helmet. Very quickly, you may find yourself overwhelmed by mounting medical bills and unforeseen expenses, possibly while you are physically unable to earn a living. Simply making ends meet can become impossible, much less obtaining the compensation necessary to protect your family from disaster.
You need attorneys who are compassionate enough to support you through your struggles and skillful enough to help you overcome them. You need the Greenwood personal injury attorneys at Hensley Legal Group, who are dedicated to defending the rights of Indiana residents just like you who have been injured through no fault of their own. We will never allow the intimidation tactics of large insurance companies stop us from serving the best interests of our clients.
If you choose to hire our firm, we will conduct a comprehensive investigation to identify and pursue everyone who may be responsible for your motorcycle accident within the time allotted by law. We will also act immediately to secure the evidence needed to support your claim, including:
- Police reports
- Traffic citations and dispositions
- Eyewitness testimony
- Crash scene photos
- Dash cam, traffic light, and surveillance videos
- Black box data
- Driving histories
- Cellphone records
- Accident reconstruction and forensic analysis
After putting together an airtight case against the liable parties, we will attempt to negotiate a settlement that takes into account the entirety of your damages. Insurance adjusters may try to use your relative inexperience against you in order to settle your claim for far less than it may be worth, even exploiting negative public sentiment toward the motorcycle community for its “reckless” image. We will not let them. Our Greenwood motorcycle accident lawyers will always strive to get you compensated for all of your losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished enjoyment of life
- Psychological and emotional trauma
- Punitive and wrongful death damages (if applicable)
And unlike some of our competitors, who rarely, if ever, step foot inside a courtroom, we are more than willing to go to trial if we do not receive an offer that reflects the true value of your motorcycle accident claim.
We understand that additional expenditures may be beyond your means at this moment, so you may be relieved to hear that our firm works on a contingency basis. You will not pay anything unless our Greenwood motorcycle accident attorneys win your case.
You had no idea of the long and difficult road that lay ahead of you the last time you got on your bike, but you can trust Hensley to bring your journey to a satisfying conclusion.
Speak With a Greenwood Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Hensley Legal Group has been standing up for the everyday people of Indiana for over a quarter century. If you have been the victim of somebody else’s thoughtlessness, speak with a Greenwood motorcycle accident lawyer today to learn about your legal options.
Call (317) 472-3333, chat with us online, or fill out our contact form for a no-cost case review with a knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney.
Free Case Review
You won’t pay any fees until we win your case.
It’s easy - you can: