Greenwood is in the middle of a massive redevelopment initiative. Major projects have either recently been completed or are currently underway in the city, including the Greenwood Fieldhouse, the Western Regional Interceptor sewer system upgrade, and the expansion of Worthsville Road.
Infrastructure is one of the “Four Pillars” of Greenwood’s “Comprehensive Plan” for the future, but it can come at a significant human cost. The construction industry has some of the most dangerous working conditions and the highest rate of deadly injuries in the private employment sector. Indiana construction sites saw 31 deaths in 2020, nearly a fifth of all workplace fatalities in the state that year. Even workers who survive construction accidents can experience economic hardships as they cope with debilitating injuries.
To overcome these hardships after a construction accident in the Greenwood area, contact the Greenwood construction accident attorneys at Hensley Legal Group, who have been fighting for the everyday people of Indiana for more than 25 years.
Call (317) 472-3333, chat with us online, or complete our contact form for a free case review with a Greenwood construction accident lawyer.
How Do Construction Accidents Occur?
While a construction accident can occur for a variety of reasons, the four leading causes of fatal accidents on construction sites are:
- Falls – More than a third of construction deaths involve falling from a significant height.
- Sudden Blows – About 11.1 percent of construction site fatalities occur when someone is struck by an object.
- Electric Shock – 8.5 percent of deadly construction incidents are the result of electrocution.
- Being Caught In or Between – Approximately 5.5 percent of workers killed on construction sites are trapped in crush accidents.
These categories encompass over fifty percent of deaths in the industry, though Indiana construction injuries may also be caused by:
- Crane, forklift, and vehicle accidents
- Equipment malfunctions
- Building and scaffold collapses
- Explosions and fires
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
Accidents can happen anywhere, but there are certain hazards that are unique to construction sites that can make them more probable, such as:
- Poor coverage from falling objects
- Lax fall protection safeguards
- Open trenches
- Obstructed walkways
- Unshielded power sources
- Defective tools and equipment
When an unsafe condition of this nature is found on a construction site, it could be a sign of negligence, which is a key element in successful claims for compensation. Our Greenwood construction accident attorneys are adept at uncovering the underlying causes of construction injuries.
Likely Victims of Construction Accidents
Construction workers are the most likely victims of construction accidents, but they are not necessarily the only ones, as outside parties can also suffer construction-related injuries. For example, debris and objects could fall from high-rises and construction vehicles onto people passing by, while improper work can damage neighboring buildings, start rapidly spreading fires, or cause devastating explosions and structural collapses.
Whether you were working on a construction site or simply near one when you were injured, Hensley’s Greenwood construction accident lawyers will be here to discuss your potential legal remedies.
Who Is Liable for a Construction Accident?
Construction projects are large undertakings with numerous operations going on simultaneously. When any of these operations goes wrong, lives can be in jeopardy, so Indiana law requires construction employers to provide workers with the tools and equipment necessary to avoid injuries. Specifically, to pass inspection from the Construction Safety Division of the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration, they must:
- Assess construction sites for hazards.
- Implement a detailed safety plan.
- Provide protective equipment to prevent falls and other accidents.
- Train workers on the correct use of tools and machines.
If a construction site does not have appropriate precautions in place, a serious construction accident is not just possible but inevitable – and the ones who let it happen should be held accountable.
Steps to Take After a Construction Accident
It can be hard to think clearly in the immediate aftermath of a construction accident, but there are a number of steps you should remember to take to better protect yourself, including:
- Get medical assistance – Delays in treatment may limit your ability to recover from your injuries and cast doubt on their causal relationship to the construction accident.
- Inform your employer – Tell your employer or supervisor about the accident as soon as it happens. Uncertainty about when and how an incident occurred can be an impediment to the claims process.
- Shoot pictures and videos – A visual record of the accident scene may prove invaluable in establishing negligence. Take out your phone and shoot pictures and videos of all damages and defective conditions before they can be repaired, since sudden change is not the exception but the rule on a construction site.
- Get witness information – Take down the names and numbers of any witnesses who can provide independent confirmation of the events leading up to the construction accident.
- Avoid the insurance company – Insurance company representatives may attempt to contact you, but avoid them if you can. Any statements you make could be used against you, especially if you do not understand your legal rights.
- Talk to a lawyer – Instead, talk to a knowledgeable Greenwood construction accident lawyer who can explain your rights and what you can expect if you are considering a case.
What Our Construction Accident Attorneys Will Do
Construction accidents can be catastrophic, inflicting punishing injuries while also making it impossible to earn a living. Moreover, the challenge of healing from your injuries can sometimes pale in comparison to the challenge of obtaining fair compensation. Construction accident claims are some of the most complex in personal injury litigation, and insurance companies will often take advantage of this complexity to shift the blame and limit their financial exposure.
You need attorneys with the compassion to support you through adversity and the deep understanding of all applicable laws and industry practices necessary to help you prevail. You need the Greenwood construction accident attorneys at Hensley Legal Group, who are dedicated to ensuring that the average Hoosier enjoys equal access to justice.
If you decide to retain our firm, we will work tirelessly to expose any legal violations or omissions of duty that may have contributed to your injuries as well as every individual responsible for them within the time permitted by law.
This can be difficult in construction accident claims because of the number of parties who may be involved. In addition to the property owner and/or developer, there is usually a general contractor overseeing the construction project, multiple contractors hired by the general contractor, and even subcontractors hired to assist them, each with different contractual obligations.
Our Greenwood construction accident lawyers are highly skilled at identifying when breaches of these obligations caused harm and taking swift action against the individuals or entities who breached them.
What Compensation Is Available for a Construction Accident?
Once we have put together an airtight case against the at-fault parties, we will negotiate with their insurance carriers to reach a settlement that takes into consideration the full spectrum of your losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Punitive and wrongful death accident damages (if applicable)
And if we do not receive an offer that reflects the true worth of your claim, we are not afraid to go to trial to obtain a verdict or judgment that does, unlike many of our competitors, who rarely, if ever, set foot inside a courtroom.
While no two construction accidents are exactly alike, Hensley will always strive to get you top compensation for yours.
You Will Never Pay Until We Win
You may be concerned about additional expenditures at a time when you can probably least afford them, so you may be pleased to hear that our firm works on a contingency basis. This means that you will never pay us anything until our Greenwood construction accident attorneys win.
We took your case because we believe in it, and we are willing to assume all the risks in order to get you and your family what you deserve.
Meet with a Greenwood Construction Accident Lawyer Now
Hensley Legal Group has been defending wrongfully injured Indiana residents for over a quarter century. If you have been harmed by someone else’s negligence, meet with a Greenwood construction accident lawyer now to learn more about your options.
Schedule a free consultation with one of our construction accident attorneys by calling us at (317) 472-3333, chatting with us online, or completing our contact form.
Free Case Review
You won’t pay any fees until we win your case.
It’s easy - you can: