A mental disorder can be complicated to prove, since it’s often impossible to tell by sight that an individual has an impairment at all, much less one that makes steady employment unrealistic.
Social Security’s listing of impairments does actually address a number of mental disorders for which one can seek disability benefits. It’s also helpful because it clearly outlines the necessary documents, reports and records you’ll have to furnish to receive Social Security disability benefits.
According to Social Security’s listing of impairments, if you have a disorder that falls under one of the following 9 umbrella disorders, you may qualify for disability benefits:
- Organic mental disorder
- Schizophrenia, paranoia (or other psychotic disorders)
- Affective disorders
- Mental retardation
- Anxiety-related disorders
- Somatoform disorders
- Personality disorders
- Substance addiction disorders
- Autism (or other developmental disorders)
Just having a mental disorder is not enough, though. You’ll want to partner with an Indiana Social Security lawyer to collect the evidence you’ll need to claim benefits.
Some proof you’ll need, as stated in Social Security’s listing of impairments for adult mental disorders includes:
- Medical evidence: This can include information from hospitalizations, psychological tests and mental status examinations.
- Individual accounts: Your account of how your mental impairment has affected your daily life.
- Work attempts: This includes how many times you have tried to work, facts surrounding your termination and information on support you need to properly function at work.
- Longitudinal evidence: This evidence is needed to show how your condition has varied over time.
Chances are, if you’re seeking disability benefits, you’re probably going through a lot of stress, and don’t want to risk losing your claim because of a simple mistake. Contacting an Indiana Social Security lawyer who is familiar with Social Security’s listing of impairments can help simplify the process, and significantly cut down on the risk of damage to your claim.
Help from an Indiana Social Security Disability Lawyer
When you have complications with your Social Security disability benefits claim, an Indiana Social Security disability lawyer can help. In order to get back on track with your Social Security benefits claim, download a copy of our free eBook, 8 Mistakes to Avoid When Filing for Social Security Disability Benefits, then contact a Social Security disability lawyer at Hensley Legal Group for a free consultation.