Noteworthy Results Specific case results. No two cases are alike.

What If I Get Into a Muncie Car Accident with an Out-of-State Driver?


Muncie is home to people of all ages and all levels of driving experience. However, no matter the age and even the level of driving experience, accidents happen. With Muncie being the home to the popular Ball State University, there is a possibility that you may be in a car accident with a younger adult who happens to attend the university. That might not raise any additional questions at the scene of the accident, but questions may develop if you learn that that person is from out of state. What happens then?

At the Scene of the Car Accident in Muncie


In a Muncie car accident, the procedures of the car accident follow Indiana’s laws no matter if one, both, or neither of the drivers are Indiana drivers. That means:

  • Staying at the scene of the accident
  • Calling 911 if anyone is injured or there is $1,000 or in more property damage
  • Exchanging insurance information with the other driver.

Indiana’s Comparative Fault Act means that responsibility for damages will be assigned to each party by the percentage of fault they have in causing the accident. That means it’s important to start gathering evidence from the scene to support your claim and to prove that you are either not at fault or are only a small percentage at fault for the accident.

Police reports, photos, eyewitness testimonies, and medical records will be important in establishing fault. Immediately following the car accident, notify the police so an officer will come to the scene and begin a police report. In the meantime, exchange insurance information with the other party, take pictures of both vehicles and the scene of the accident, and record some general notes about the location of the accident as well. If there happen to be eyewitnesses, touch base with them to see if they are staying until the police arrive, and get their contact information.

Most importantly, assess any damage that may have been caused to your own health. Pay vigorous attention to detail when collecting information at the scene of the car accident in Muncie; more details can better establish a claim later. Some car accidents can be brutal and leave obvious signs of needed medical attention while some car accident injuries aren’t noticeable right away but become evident a few days after. In either case, it’s best to have yourself checked by medical professionals and seek treatment as soon as possible.

After the Car Accident in Muncie


If the case has been determined that you are not at fault, meaning the other driver was at least 51 percent at fault, a percentage of the bills will be covered by the other’s insurance company. For example, if it was ruled that you were 30 percent at fault, of your total bills, you would have to pay 30 percent while the other’s insurance company paid the remaining 70 percent.

It’s okay to work with insurance companies for a property damage claim; however, make sure to keep it separate from your personal injury claim. Property damage claims typically settle quickly and fairly without any need for an attorney; personal injury claims can take a long time, especially if the insurance company continues offering you settlements far below what you need to get back on your feet.

Seeking a consultation with experienced car accident attorneys ensures that you are not being denied compensation for the injuries caused, medical expenses accumulated, or wages lost. That’s why it’s important, in addition for your own well-being, to seek out medical attention after a car accident. Not only will proper medical treatment make you better, but a paper trail will be initiated, which can help your case.

Help from a Muncie Car Accident Lawyer

It’s good for you to go to a skilled attorney who knows how fight these tough battles and wants to help in this unfortunate time. It’s important to note that the sooner you begin to seek out legal help, the better. Yes, even when filing a personal injury claim for a car accident, your time is limited. Car accidents, in general, are a hassle, but working with experienced attorneys makes the process easier from start to finish. Call Hensley Legal Group today or contact us online for a free conversation about your case.