You could face a criminal penalty for leaving the scene of an accident in Indiana, especially if someone has been injured or killed. According to Indiana law, you are required to do the following if you are involved in an Indianapolis accident involving injuries or death:
- Stop at the scene or close to the scene
- Get contact and registration information from the other driver
- Provide reasonable assistance
- Notify the police
The penalty for leaving the scene of an accident in Indiana is a felony under these circumstances:
- Someone was seriously injured
- Someone died
- You intentionally failed to stop and you were intoxicated and caused serious injury
You are also required to stop and exchange contact information if there were no injuries involved in your accident. In such cases, the penalty for leaving the scene of an accident in Indiana could be a misdemeanor.
After You Have Been Involved in an Indianapolis Accident
If you don’t stop at the scene of an accident in Indiana, there’s a good chance that your lack of action could damage your case in the event that you decide to pursue a personal injury claim.
To protect your rights and your case, you should do the following after an Indianapolis accident:
- Stop your vehicle
- If you are able, check on the safety of your passengers and the other driver
- Call the police
- Get contact information from the other driver and any witnesses
- Take photographs of the accident scene
- Contact an Indianapolis accident attorney
An experienced accident attorney can help determine whose negligence caused the accident and, if appropriate, help you file a personal injury claim.
A Helping Hand from an Indianapolis Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in an accident and the car who hit you left the scene, an Indianapolis accident attorney can help alleviate some of the stress and anxiety associated with filing a claim. In order to get back on track with your car accident claim, download a copy of our complimentary book, Consumer’s Guide for Injured Victims, then contact an Indianapolis accident attorney at Hensley Legal Group for a no-cost consultation: (317) 472-3333.