Noteworthy Results Specific case results. No two cases are alike.

What Types of Indiana Car Insurance Should I Carry in the Event of an Accident in Indiana?


Indiana state law dictates that all drivers have the minimum liability coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for the expenses of medical services and treatment provided to those injured in an accident in Indiana.

However, thousands of drivers do not have adequate insurance – and some don’t have any insurance at all. In order to protect yourself, there are additional insurance coverage options you should add to your current insurance policy in the event of an accident.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage – usually grouped together as UM/UIM, as it may appear on your insurance card if you have the coverage – protects you in the event that the driver responsible for your accident lacks coverage or has inadequate coverage for the extent of your injuries and damage from your accident in Indiana.

For instance, if another driver causes your accident in Indiana and has no insurance, your damages would be paid for by your insurance provider under your uninsured motorist policy up to the limits of your coverage. If you still have questions, your Indianapolis personal injury lawyer can explain the different types of coverage in finer detail.

Further, if you are in an accident and the at-fault driver does have insurance, but their policy is the minimum amount of liability coverage ($25,000) and your medical bills exceed the limits of their policy, then that driver’s auto insurance provider would pay the first $25,000, and your underinsured motorist coverage would pay the remainder up to the limits of your coverage.

Guaranteed Auto Protection (GAP) insurance exists in the event that your car is destroyed in a serious accident in Indiana or stolen and you owe more than the vehicle is worth. In that event, GAP insurance will provide the difference – or gap – between what’s owed on the car and its estimated value.

A Helping Hand from an Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorney

When you have complications with your Indianapolis personal injury claim after an accident in Indiana, a personal injury attorney can help you to alleviate some of the stress and anxiety associated with filing a claim. In order to get back on track with your personal injury claim, download a copy of our FREE eBook, Consumer’s Guide for Injured Victimsand then contact an Indianapolis personal injury attorney at Hensley Legal Group for a no-cost consultation: (317) 472-3333.