State Alcohol Laws for Evansville Restaurants and Breweries

What are the State Alcohol Laws for Evansville Restaurants and Breweries?


A couple of months ago, Henderson Brewing Company in Henderson, Kentucky, obtained a license to operate as a microbrewery. This was a huge event for the community as this was the first time in 80 years that a licensed microbrewery has resided in Henderson.

While this will bring a fun new experience to the Kentucky community, a whole new set of responsibilities enter the picture when alcohol is involved. Even in Indiana, there are certain precautions that breweries and restaurants need to take to ensure the safety of all of guests and customers enjoying the space and services.

Indiana Alcohol Laws


Any business in Evansville that provides alcohol for purchase must heed the laws set in motion by the state of Indiana.

  • Check Identification: Indiana state law requires any person or business that provides alcohol to check the person’s identification if they look younger than a certain age. If the item is a carry-out item, the person must appear to be of the age of 40 or over. If the drink will be consumed while in the place business, such as a bar or restaurant, the person will need to be carded if they look younger than 26 years old.
  • Intoxicated Customers: In the state of Indiana, it is a criminal offense to serve anyone who appears to already be intoxicated. This law expects all employees of these industries to use discretion when serving alcohol. The law is set in place to help prevent anyone from being overserved. When a person is overserved, they can be a danger to themselves and to those around them.
  • Food Services: Indiana state law also requires any business that sells alcohol by the “drink” to also provide a food service at all times. When people drink on an empty stomach, they are likely to get intoxicated at a faster rate. This can happen quickly and can pose a potential danger. To help prevent quick and accidental overserving, these restaurants are required to provide the minimum food requirements to provide options to combat the alcohol in these situations. These minimum requirements can consist of soups, sandwiches, coffee, milk, and sodas.
  • Servers: To help protect both the customers and the servers, state law sets requirements for minor servers as well. While people under the age of 21 are allowed to work at these establishments, they are not permitted to handle, serve, or sell these alcoholic beverages. For example, if a waitress is under the age of 18, she is allowed to work in these establishments, but if her table orders an alcoholic beverage, a coworker over the age of 21 must be the one to bring the beverage to the table.

Can the Bar or Restaurant Be Responsible for Drunk Drivers?

Yes. The liability of the restaurant can extend beyond their building in a number of cases. They could be responsible if a drunk customer gets into an altercation on the sidewalk outside of the restaurant, for example, or if he or she drives a car and gets into a car accident while intoxicated. Liability could fall not only on the restaurant, but also on the server or bartender.

That’s why it’s important to have an attorney on your side if you get into a car accident with a drunk driver. An Evansville car accident attorney can help you determine if anyone else beyond the drunk driver could be held responsible.

Help from an Evansville Premises Liability Attorney

It is the responsibility of the bar to ensure guests and customers have a safe experience. This means no one is overserved or served as a minor. If you were injured at a bar or brewery because another customer was overserved, you could be entitled to compensation. Contact Hensley Legal Group today for a free consultation, or contact us online.