A rotator cuff tear is one of several shoulder injuries you could sustain in an Indianapolis accident. If you have suffered a serious rotator cuff tear because of someone else’s negligence, you should consult with an Indianapolis accident lawyer to discuss filing an Indiana injury claim.
Your lawyer might be able to help you seek compensation for your current and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and altered quality of life. However, you will need to contact an Indianapolis accident lawyer before the statute of limitations, or deadline, for filing a claim has passed.
Symptoms of a Rotator Cuff Tear After an Indianapolis Accident
The impact of an Indianapolis accident, such as a car crash, can put significant stress on your shoulder, causing a serious rotator cuff tear.
The symptoms you might experience include:
- Pain – pain will usually worsen when you lift your arm or while you are asleep or lying on the affected shoulder. If you have a severe rotator cuff tear, the pain will not subside and your muscles will be sore.
- Weakness – your affected shoulder will be much weaker than your healthy shoulder.
- Guarding – you will keep the affected shoulder immobilized and you will be inclined to protect it all times.
If you do not seek treatment for your rotator cuff tear, your shoulder could become permanently disabled and your quality of life will be diminished. Therefore it’s crucial you speak with an Indianapolis accident lawyer to discuss your legal options for recourse.
Treatment for a Rotator Cuff Tear After an Indianapolis Accident
If your rotator cuff tear is minor, treatment will generally involve heat and ice therapy, rest, and pain medication. Treatment is much more complex for a severe rotator cuff tear. First, you will need to undergo diagnostic testing to determine the severity of the injury.
These tests might include:
- Physical examination
After a diagnosis is confirmed, your medical treatment might include:
- Physical therapy – to help improve your shoulder’s range of motion, balance the strength in your shoulders, and increase flexibility.
- Steroid injections – to ease inflammation and pain.
- Surgery – to repair tears that will not heal on their own.
A severe rotator cuff tear will cause you to miss work and accumulate medical bills. To help your Indianapolis accident lawyer build a strong case, you should preserve as much evidence as possible, seek medical treatment, and follow all of your doctor’s orders. While you focus on recovery, your lawyer will focus on obtaining the compensation you deserve.