Noteworthy Results Specific case results. No two cases are alike.

A Water Main Break Caused My Car Accident. Who’s Responsible?

muncie indiana car accident lawyers flooded street

You have to account for so many variables when you drive on Muncie roadways. I-69 is in a constant state of construction and repair, Ball State brings in lots of student traffic, and country roads turn into crowded highways at the drop of a hat.

Car accidents can occur at any point. But what if you get into a car crash because of road damage? What if, through some freak accident, a water main breaks while you’re driving, and the sudden flood or obstructions caused by rushing water causes you to crash?

If you were in a car accident caused by a broken water main, you could still obtain compensation for your damages.

When Fault Isn’t So Apparent

flooded street

Ordinarily, car accidents involve two or more cars colliding, or one driver causing another to crash. Car accident claims boil down to determining how much each party is at fault for the accident.

While you can’t collect damages from a water pipe, you may be able to file a claim against the parties responsible for its the maintenance and upkeep.

Most of the time, water main breaks are linked to the maintenance of public services, which is the government’s responsibility. If you were injured in a car accident because of a busted water main, your damages may be a result of government negligence.

Unfortunately, dealing with the government in any sort of injury case is difficult. But it’s not impossible.

Determining Government Neglect

flooded street

City water mains are often under intense pressure. Even pipes in good repair can burst in freak accidents. If one breaks, the street could become flooded very quickly.

You cannot expect the government to set up signage, redirect traffic or close the street in the span of just a few minutes. If your car is damaged by flooding just minutes after a water main breaks, you may have a hard time proving that the government is liable.

However, if the busted water main had a history of ruptures, or was well behind on scheduled maintenance, then you may have a case for government negligence.

But you’ll have to quickly gather evidence supporting your claims and send that evidence to the correct government entity. Speed is key, because most government entities have a short statute of limitations on premises liability cases. A local attorney can help you through the steps of filing a claim against your city.

Help from a Muncie Car Accident Lawyer

Driving presents enough risks on its own without the unknowns of everyday life coming into play. On top of that, if you or someone you know has to deal with the fallout of a water main break-related accident, jumping through the necessary government hoops can seem impossible. That’s where Hensley Legal Group may be able to help. Call us today or contact us online for a free conversation about your claim.