Noteworthy Results Specific case results. No two cases are alike.

What Is the Difference Between Underinsured and Uninsured Coverage in the Event of an Accident in Indiana?


Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage are additional insurance options you can append to your car insurance policy in the event of an accident in Indiana. If you’re injured in an accident, and the at-fault driver is not insured, contact one of the Indiana car accident lawyers ready to answer your questions about accident claims.

All drivers in Indiana are required by law to carry the minimum liability coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. Unfortunately, not all drivers carry insurance, and sometimes the total cost of medical expenses exceeds the minimum coverage limit. In some states, UM/UIM insurance coverage also covers property damage.

If you are injured in an accident in Indiana with an uninsured driver, you will be left footing the bill unless you pursue a lawsuit, which could take well over a year to resolve. However, if you have uninsured motorist protection, your auto insurance provider will pay for damage and medical bills up to the limits of your policy.

Likewise, if you are in an accident with a driver who has met the minimum requirement of state-mandated insurance but whose payment limit is not high enough to cover all the damage that was caused, underinsured motorist protection will pay for your damages up to the limits of your policy.

It is important to point out that although in most cases, UM/UIM coverage can or must be bought together, these protections do exist as separate entities.

In Indiana, statistics estimate that almost 1 in 5 drivers are uninsured, so UM/UIM coverage is a prudent option to add to your current policy. Fortunately, UM/UIM coverage is also relatively inexpensive, usually just a fraction of your liability coverage.

A Helping Hand from Our Indiana Car Accident Lawyers

When you have complications after you’ve been in an Indianapolis accident, an injury lawyer can help you to alleviate some of the stress and anxiety associated with filing a claim. In order to get back on track with your personal injury claim, download a copy of our FREE book, Consumer’s Guide for Injured Victimsand then contact one of the Indiana car accident lawyers at Hensley Legal Group for a no-cost consultation at (317) 472-3333.