If you plan to apply for Social Security disability in Indiana, you should know the required steps to better prepare your case. However, if you need help with your claim, you should enlist the help of an Indianapolis Indiana attorney who handles Social Security disability claims.
The process of filing and obtaining disability benefits is a lengthy one, filled with complicated paperwork and forms. If you miss a deadline or fail to complete a form properly, it can extend your waiting time for an answer. This is why you would benefit from the help of an attorney.
An Indiana disability attorney also can help improve your chance at having your initial application for benefits approved, as many are denied on first submission. Even if your claim is denied, the help of an attorney can increase your chance at a favorable outcome when you appeal.
Benefit Application to Apply for Social Security Disability in Indiana
The first step to apply for Social Security disability in Indiana is to complete a benefit application. In order to fill out the application for benefits properly, you will need the following information:
- W-2 form (if self-employed, IRS 1040 and Schedules C and SE) from last year
- Checking or savings account number, with bank routing number in order to use direct deposit for benefit payments
- Social Security numbers for you, your spouse and minor children
- Military service discharge information (Form DD 214) for all periods of active duty
Submitting a Disability Report When Applying for Social Security Disability in Indiana
After you complete the benefit application step to apply for Social Security disability in Indiana, you will need to submit a disability report, which will require the following information:
- Name, address, and telephone number of someone who can verify your medical condition (such as your family doctor or specialist)
- Dates you received treatment in a clinic, doctor’s office or hospital
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers where treatment was received (patient ID numbers should also be included)
- Medical tests you have undergone (names, dates and who ordered them)
- Names of prescription medication you are taking and who prescribed them
- Description of your work history for the past 5 years (dates and type of work done)
- Names, addresses, phone numbers and claim numbers for any workers’ compensation or insurance claims filed
The next step to apply for Social Security disability in Indiana is to sign a medical release form (SSA-827). You then may be required to provide additional information.
Waiting for Social Security Disability Approval
Once you have completed all of the forms and paperwork, assuming it has all been done correctly, you await the decision. If you don’t want to delay your claim, however, you should seek help from an Indianapolis Indiana attorney who handles Social Security disability cases. He or she can review your application to make sure it’s filled out correctly.
It’ll take a few months before a decision is reached. The timeframe will also depend on how quickly you can get your medical records and any other evidence that’s necessary to help make a decision.
During this period you may be required to complete additional forms or to undergo a medical examination or testing. If the state requests this, you’re required to keep the appointment. Failure to do so could impact the outcome of your claim.
Before you apply for Social Security disability in Indiana, seek legal counsel from an Indiana Social Security disability attorney who specializes in this area of the law. An attorney can assist you throughout the entire process.