Hurt in an Indiana car crash? You are not alone.
If you have been hurt in an Indiana traffic wreck, you are not alone. These statistics come from the Traffic Safety Division of the State of Indiana’s annual report for 2008.
- Number of traffic accidents: 205,541
- Average crashes per day: 563
- Average crashes per month: 17,121
- Mileage death rate: 1.19 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled
Vehicles involved in Indiana traffic accidents:
- Passenger car: 147,468
- Motorcycle or moped: 3,822
- Light truck: 103,052
- Large truck: 13,266
- Commercial vehicle: 15,127
- Bus: 1,892
- Pedestrians: 2,874
- Number of fatal collisions: 722
- Number of highway fatalities: 815
- Fatality death rate: 12.8 per 100,000 registered vehicles; 1.6 per 100,000 licensed drivers
Traffic Accident injuries:
- Number of injury producing crashes: 35,358
- Number of individuals injured: 49,652
- Number of fatal injuries: 815
- Number of incapacitating injuries: 3,382
- Number of non-incapacitating injuries: 45,455
- Number of alcohol-related crashes: 9,411
- Number of fatal alcohol-related crashes: 218
- Number of alcohol-related injuries: 4,735
- Number of alcohol-related deaths: 246
- Number of non-drivers injured in alcohol-related crashes: 1,363
- Alcohol-related crashes accounted for 30.2% of traffic fatalities and 17.2% of incapacitating injuries.
Other types of crashes:
- Number of aggressive driving crashes: 3,007
- Number of speed-related collisions: 22,819
- Number of wrecks caused by disregarding a traffic signal: 4,343
- Number of hit-and-run accidents: 25,121
When do crashes occur?
- More accidents happen in winter. December was the month with the most crashes (24,220). It was followed by February (20,656), January (18,769), November (18,662), October (17,252), May (16,044), March (15,641), June (15,470), August (14,877), July (14,804), September (14,793), and April (14,263).
- Fatal crashes were more likely to occur in warmer months. The highest number of fatal crashes occurred in August (76) followed by July (75), November (75), September (73), February (66), June (60), December (58), October (56), May (54), March (47), January (43) and April (39).
- The highest number of holiday accident fatalities occurred over the 4-day Thanksgiving holiday weekend. 73.3% of these fatalities were alcohol-related. 77.8% of Labor Day weekend fatalities were alcohol-related.
- The weather was clear for 56.6% of traffic accidents.
- 64.2% of accidents occurred during daylight hours.
Top five primary factors in Indiana collisions:
- Failure to yield right of way: 30,309
- Following too closely: 25,735
- Animal on roadway: 19,217
- Unsafe backing: 16, 354
- Speed too fast for weather conditions: 12,355
Top five primary factors in fatal Indiana collisions:
- Ran off road right: 145
- Unsafe speed: 86
- Failure to yield right of way: 83
- Left of center: 81
- Disregard for signal or sign: 40
You are not a statistic.
Your injury or loss is personal and devastating to you and your family. The attorneys at Hensley Legal Group understand, and we will do our utmost to provide you with respectful and experienced legal representation and to get you the compensation you deserve. We’re here to help.
If you’ve been injured or have lost a loved one in an Indiana traffic accident, our free book, Consumer’s Guide for Injured Victims, provides helpful information to get you on the right start.